Date:      Thu, 4 May 95 13:16:52 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rashid@haven.ios.com (Rashid Karimov.)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Few problems at 0412 SNAP

[ ... Random reboots ... ]

> 	The system is  :
> 	GATEWAY 2000PCI/128Mb RAM/Bustek946C PCI/SCSI adapetr, DIAMOND
> 	STEALTH 64 SVGA card ( with sw_cursor enables ).

Is this an older P60 system?

Gateway is known to have three motherboards for this box:

1)	A motherboard with a bad saturn chipset, known to fail to do
	cache update/invalidation correctly because of a missing
	connection in the chip masks.  If the chip was built from
	masks older than Apr 1994, then it probably has this problem.
	You can use a bus mastering DMA controller *if* you disable
	the L1 and L2 caches.

2)	A motherboard with a bad saturn chipset that has been hacked
	on the motherboard itself to (mostly) fix the problem.  You
	may still need to disable the L2 cache.

3)	A motherboard with a good saturn chipset, but which hasn't
	had the hack removed because it wasn't cost effective for
	Gateway to do it and trash their stockpile of motherboards.
	You *must* disable the L2 cache for this one to work.

?)	It may be newer and Gateway may have done something about it,
	so these may not be your problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---