Date:      14 Nov 2000 12:57:21 -0000
From:      sharpmind2@371.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what is terminal emulator

im a greenhand,and i met a word beyond me while I was readming ttys's man page.
In the explainment of the second field per line, there is such a section below.

The second field of the file is the command to execute for the line, usu-
ally getty(8),  which initializes and opens the line, setting the speed,
waiting for a user name and executing the login(1) program.  It can be,
however, any desired command, for example the start up for a window sys-
tem terminal emulator or some other daemon process, and can contain mul-
tiple words if quoted.

I cant see what is a window system terminal emulator