Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 2015 17:29:02 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Lev <leventelist@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: own kernel vs. update

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 17:21:16 +0200, Lev wrote:
> So, I built my own kernel to have OSS4 support. Then I updated the base
> system to p14, and I saw that the kernel and zfs.ko and ufs.ko is
> overwritten in /boot/kernel.
>
> Is this okay?

At least it is to be expected.

> How can I prevent upgrades to overwrite my own kernel?

In /etc/freebsd-update.conf, remove the word "kernel" from
the line "Components src world kernel". Keep "src" included
so the sources will reflect the kernel and the world you're
running after the update.

> Sahll I recompile my kernel?

Yes. World and kernel should be in sync, so your sources
should be of the same version as the world and the kernel
(you're going to build from them). With freebsd-update, this
can be done easily as explained.

> If the source is not updated, why the
> binary modules?

Source and modules are handled independently. Maybe a change
has not been made to an individual module, but to one of its
dependencies which leads to a "slightly different" module as
a result.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany