Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:41:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PC164 SRM firmware problem

	This thread reminds me of an issue with a PC164 system I was given
recently.  It was an NT/ARC system with a "NT-only" Symbios/NCR SCSi
controller (i.e. doesn't show up in SRM).  The SRM is whatever the latest
Compaq update CD has on it, I forget the version at the moment.

	So I decided to try IDE disks.  The thing is, it only sees the
primary channels IDE master, and no other devices.  That is, if you put a
hard disk as primary master, it shows as dqa0.  If you plug in a CDROM
drive anywhere (primary/slave, secondary master or slave) it doesn't show
up.  If you disconnect the hard drive and put the CDROM in its place, you
get it as dqa0 again.

	I booted a Linux floppy on the machine (dva0) and it kernel was
able to find the dqa0 hard drive /and/ the undetected-by-SRM CDROM.  End
result was that a CDROM install worked fine when booted from floppy.

	But I'm still stuck where I can't boot from IDE CDROM (dqb0?) and
install to the dqa0 disk.  Netbooting is less that optimal since I might
want to install Tru64 on it, and the's kinda ugly.  Any pointers?

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f "$zig"; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1