Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:11:31 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Quintin Oliver <quintin@smlt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 3.0

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 03:52:47PM +0100, Quintin Oliver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just downloaded the FreeBSD 3.0 boot.flp file, I did a:
>
> dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/fd0 (on Linux)
>
> I placed the disk in a fresh machine, it beeped and crashed :(
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Quintin.

It would help if you could give us a bit more information here, eg:

  Did the dd work correctly (ie transferred the whole file to the floppy)?
  What hardware does this 'fresh machine' consist of?
  Can it/has it booted Linux/Windows/whatever successfully before?
  What happened before it 'beeped and crashed'?

More than likely your boot floppy is shafted in some way, but we can't tell
for sure unless you tell us what really happened...

Cheers,

	Scott.