Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:53:29 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
Cc:        a.l.w.kuijper@rug.nl, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb storage device mounting problems

> On Sunday 09 July 2006 9:59 am, Bram Kuijper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> still cannot seem to get usb device working as an ordinary user between
>> multiple reboots, without doing /etc/rc.d/devfs start as root every time.
>>
>> did the following things described under 4.3.3. from
>> http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html
>>
>> added this to devfs.rules:
>>
>> [usb_devices=10]
>> add path 'da*s*' mode 0666 group usb
>> add path 'ugen*' mode 0666 group usb
>>
>> added this to rc.conf:
>> devfs_system_ruleset="usb_devices"
>>

>> removed this from devfs.conf:
>>
>> own /dev/fd0 root:operator
>> perm /dev/fd0 0666
>>

>> then, I restarted my rc.conf:
>> /etc/rc.d/devfs start
>>
>> now, it is possible to mount the device as described, however only
>> during this login. If I reboot, I have to do devfs start again as root.
>>
>> anybody knows how to retain these settings between multiple reboots?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Bram

An 'ls -l /dev/da*' and 'ls -l /dev/u*' just after reboot might be
helpful to see if /some/ of the permissions are being set on boot. Next,
double check your devfs.conf - in your email you said you removed
permissions related to the floppy not the USB devices, maybe there's a
conflict. Also, after a reboot but before doing a devfs start, unplug
your USB device and then plug it back in - to see if devfs is working.

I tried to reproduce your problem with a USB flash drive, but I can't.
What kind of USB device are you using?  Maybe it's a driver error.

HTH,
Micah