Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:28:51 -0500
From:      Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   127.0.0.1 in a jail

Hi,

I have a question about jails and localhost.

I have found older documentation that says within a jail 127.0.0.1 is
mapped to the jail's IP address so that software that maps to localhost
or 127.0.0.1 get handed the jails IP.

However, I have tried ping (yes, I turned on raw sockets, bad me.) and
telnet to a sendmail process I have running.

They both return errors.

PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
ping: sendto: Operation not permitted

# telnet 127.0.0.1
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Needless to say, this is causing problems with some software that I have
to install.

Does anyone know how to verify that 127.0.0.1/localhost map to the
jail's IP?

If it isn't, how do I change it to be so?

Thank you,

P.