Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 22:18:15 -0700
From:      clark shishido <clark@ruminary.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What hardware do you use ?

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 11:48:12AM -0700, Doug White wrote:

> 1)  At eGroups/Y!Groups we used Intel L440GX+ motherboards. These are now
> (sadly) discontinued, but supported slotted P2 and P3 CPUs. Very solid if
> you used approved memory.

I despise the L440GX+ mobos I have to work with at work (AvantGo).
I've run into many SCSI errors with the L440GX+ unless you have BIOS
revision 14.x or higher. They're a pain in the a** to upgrade the BIOS,
and one of the SCSI buses is dumbed down to SE. The only redeeming feature
of the L440GX+ is that they have the BIOS out serial console, but they
haven't earn my trust. I used to have a two cabinets full of Tyan 1837's
which were rock solid; I never had to go to the colo armed with a boot CD
and a BIOS on a floppy just to stabilize a machine.

That's my opinion for BX/GX based mobo's. I'm still undecided on the
newer AthlonMP and Intel SBC2 boards, but of course I don't form
judgemental opinions until I've admin'ed them for at least a year.

--clark