Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 11:34:07 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make_device_driver.sh

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Jan 8:
> > soon, when I've completed the bus/device code, then this will be possible,
> > but at the same time, the current LKM system will be replaced with the
> > kld system, so there won't be any "special" handling of dynamicly loaded
> > modules, just special handling of brain-dead not upgraded devices that
> > don't support unloading..
>
> Since this is going to be a big change anyway...
>

> Is there any chance I can convince you to do seperate open/close calls
> for each instance of an open or a close?
>
> PHK wanted this last year, but was shouted down because of the impact
> it would have.  If you are about to cause the same magnitude impact
> in the same area... it seems like a logical time to bring this up again.

I personally like that idea too, but the problem is that the changes
that I'm making won't effect that part (cdev/bdev structs) of the system..
this only handles how devices are "attached", but the resources they
provide (cdev/bdev/tty) are something different...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD