Date:      Sun, 8 Jan 1995 00:19:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, dawes@physics.su.oz.au, cg@FIMP01.fim.uni-linz.ac.at, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: guest account: Yggdrasil information

Peter da Silva wrote:

> A really *nifty* solution would be to use WWW forms, since there are already
> curses and X based interfaces to them. Authentication and security are likely
> to be problems, though. Plus you'd need to be running one of the HTTPDs.

	Well.  There are auth implementations for WWW stuff.  I've done a
little work with them for submission of events into a calendar.  You could use
the auth password as the root password once you're up on the network (of
course, you'd be talking to yourself on localhost (I hope) and wouldn't have to
worry about that password going over the net).  Of course, there's the
possibility of doing it from remote as well, which could be nice.  It wouldn't
be hard to get an httpd running on startup for installation configuration,
using lynx as the tool to fill out forms, and later netscape, mosaic, chimera,
arena, ... (take your pick) could be used to do the form fillout within X.  I
think this sounds like a great idea.  It would provide installation
configuration, as well as allow for the development of management utilities
that use nothing more than your basic forms-capable web browser.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead -- System/Network Administration, User Support, Software Devel.
Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research