Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:09:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfrodo42@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: Automounter How-To's

>From: "Jane Frodo" <jfrodo42@hotmail.com>
>Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 17:02:27 PDT

>Does anyone out there know of any Automounter
>"how to's" on the net?

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bsd/amdref.html

is a copy of the amd reference manual.

>Or is anyone out there willing to help me set this thing up off list?

No promises, but I'll do what I can.

>I have a "regular"
>usage and an "odd" usage for it.  There is a single
>high-speed file server holding the user directories
>under /usr/home.  On half a dozen machines, I just
>need it to mount as /usr/home/whatever on demand.

Ok; this seems reasonably straightforward.  You don't describe any
problems doing this, so does that mean you've got this part worked out?

>But on one machine, we have our file space organized
>by projects, so that each project has a group directory:

>/projectA/
>     project_directory
>     user_a
>     user_b
>     user_c

>/projectA/
>     project_directory
>     user_d
>     user_a                   <--- note that users can appear on more
>than 1
>     user_x                          project.

>I want their home directory to appear in whatever project they are
>logged into.

How might one determine "whatever project they are logged into"?

Do you want this "whatever project" to always be singular, or can it be
plural?  How is this enforced (or do you care)?

Would it be acceptable to use the very same structure on this (last)
machine that you have in all the others, and populate the "project
directories" with symlinks (pointing to the "real" home directories)?

>Also, is there anything like a group password in
>FreeBSD (yes, I know it is a Bad Idea...).

Yes, but it's not clear how you might make use of it, since BSD systems
use the union of the group access list for a given process for
determining (e.g.) whether or not the process is permitted to open a
given file in a given mode.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621