Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 11:58:33 +0200
From:      "Dave J. Boers" <djb@Wit389306.student.utwente.nl>
To:        morganw@engr.sc.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcm oddity

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 11:52:26PM -0400, Wes Morgan wrote:
> I noticed a little quirk in the pcm driver -- it is reversing the channels
> in my sb16! The first couple times I play a certain mp3 that starts out
> (normally) in the left channel, it plays correctly in the left channel.
> Then suddenly it will switch, and start out in the right channel.
> My kernel is -current as of late sept 22. Can anyone else duplicate this?

Hi,

I can reproduce your findings. I run regular buildworld every few days. I
have been having this problem for at least two weeks (and possibly before, I
have been away for a few months and was stuck with Irix). An easy way to
reproduce the problem is to start x11amp and hit play several times.

I also found several other "quirks" in the pcm driver while I was
programming:
1. If I read() from /dev/dsp in 16 bits single channel mode, I get rubbish
even if the mic and igain mixers are set to zero. If I read some 8 bits
single channel data just before you read the 16 bits data, the problem
disappears. Seems to be an initialization problem.
2. Reading large blocks from /dev/dsp (like 8192 bytes), generates a kernel
panic (uiomove failed). Cutting down the blocksize to 256 bytes appears to
solve the problem. Maybe something overflowing or a timing problem.
3. If I change the mixer setttings using ioctl() calls for /dev/dsp, then the
settings for /dev/mixer do not change accordingly.

I have an original Sb16 PnP. I am running smp for dual celeron on an Abit
mainboard.

Maybe someone wants to look into this, as I don't have any device driver
programming experience (and little time to learn also).

Best wishes,

Dave.

--

  Dave J. Boers