Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:52:10 +0000
From:      Peter Harrison <peter.piggybox@virgin.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Localized keyboard under Xorg 7.4...

So I've run the Xorg update. I've come across a number of problems (the biggest of which was needed to rebuilt xfce and losing all my settings).

The one I'm having real difficulty with at the moment is using a UK keyboard layout. Previously I had this line in my xorg.conf under the "Keyboard" InputDevice section:

Option	"XkbLayout"	"gb"

This doesn't work any more, so I followed the advice in this post:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=140908+0+archive/2009/freebsd-questions/20090208.freebsd-questions

to put the relevant entry in /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi

Still no joy. I get these lines in Xorg.0.log:

(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.1
(**) AT Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) AT Keyboard: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbLayout: "us"

I'm getting around it at the moment by getting xfce to run this at startup:

setxkbmap gb

But that's hardly an ideal solution. Can anyone suggest a better one?

TIA.

Peter Harrison.