Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:06:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Idea? (was Spam and this list)

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Aaron D. Gifford wrote:

> > With -questions, as has been pointed out before, it is important to allow
> > people who are not on the list to get questions answered.  Hence the list
> > isn't restricted.

> Or, if the poster is NOT a subscribed member of the list, how hard would
> it be to have the list software send a "verification of post" message
> back to the sender requiring them to "verify" their post by replying to
> the verification message before the post would be sent to the list.  Oh
> well, this is probably too much of a pain, but it would eliminate
> spammers with forged return addresses and/or using stolen return
> addresses.

Actually, there is something that would probably catch about 90% of the
spam that does make it to this list would be this, without requiring
mailback messages.

1) If from a subscribed member, pass it on.

2) If the name of the list doesn't appear in the To: or CC: line, treat it
as spam (human review, etc). People who aren't subscribed to the list
shouldn't be able to BCC: it, but most spam is BCC: to the recipient.

3) If the Message-ID: field was added by the mail server, treat it as
spam. I've been doing this locally, and I've never had an email come in
without a Message-ID that wasn't either locally generated, or spam
(assuming that local users of the freebsd.org machines don't mind
subscribing, otherwise check for from .*@freebsd.org).

I've already implemented rule 2 in procmail (posted to chat yesterday, but
without the rule 1 exemption, since I don't have a list of all the
subscribers), and the closest thing to spam that has made it to my
inbox from this list was that strange one a day or two ago from russia
about the grain.

I haven't implemented 3 yet for the lists I've subscribed to, but for mail
sent directly to us, it catches better than half the spam without catching
anything wrong.

Now, I don't know about the practicality of these suggestions.
hub.freebsd.org may be too busy to do this.