Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:25:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is this what the Code Red II worm does?

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, User & Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:

>  	When I try this IP, 24.218.162.152, I get an error message saying that
> too many people are trying to access this website.  Both of these seem like
> symptoms of the worm.  Does this sound right?  Is this what the Code Red II
> worm is supposed to do, DoS or defacement?  Just curious.

Code Red II is another IIS worm. it can't infect a freebsd box, but it
will fill your httpd logs with useless data.

if a machine behind your firewall is infected, it will be scanning the
subnets closest to it.

i would suggest having all your NT boxes checked out for virii. you should
consider running an IDS like snort (/usr/ports/security/snort), or run
packet analysis to see what kind of traffic is running.

other than that, i would suggest digging a bit more heavily in to the
kinds of traffic you are expecting on this network.

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan