Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:41:40 -0500
From:      "The Admiral" <xxadmiralxx@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't boot from hard drive, should I attempt to mount and backup, or run fsck first?

So I was greeted by a message on my screen this morning saying something to
the effect of "No boot loader found".  I tried booting the machine from a
FreeSBIE CD, and I ran fsck to check the drive, which gave me the following
messages:

FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
SALVAGE? no

SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
SALVAGE? no

BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
SALVAGE? no

Now my question is, do I try mounting the drive and attempt to backup my
data, or should I run fsck first before doing this?  I run a regular backup,
but unfortunately there are a few things that weren't included with the
backup that I'd like to try and retrieve.  Any help is appreciated, thanks

Mike