Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 23:38:31 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My views on Eclipse/BSD

Well the idea is that someone under 18 in the US can't legally be party
to a contract, so the contract becomes null and void even if I agree to
it.  There's lots of legal precedent on this.  It may not be this way in
other countries (I take it Australia is different).  So if we get stuck
with evil shrink wrap licenses, I could charge ppl five dollars to
unwrap and unseal software for them or something.  This certainly isn't
something I would do, but I'm talking theory.  There was hooplah when
Corel wouldn't let ppl under 18 download their Linux, but it was to
protect them.  However, since I could just lie, I could download it
anyway, and they could do nothing.  I'd have breeched the contract, but
since I can't be a party to it anyway, there's nothing they can do.  I'm
not a lawyer, heck I'm still in my last term of high school, so this is
all of course just my take on it, but it seems fairly consistent in the
cases I've seen.  Since the Eclipse people didnt put anything about age
in there (at least I didn't notice it), it would appear I am now the
proud owner of unencumbered code and they have no possible recourse.  I
don't think this should be abused or anything; I'd probably have trouble
when I turn 18, and it just doesn't seem right to me.  Perhaps some
other minor is braver than I.

Regards,
Laurence

--