Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 14:12:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Richard \"Doc\" Barnhart" <barnhart@cs.heritage.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New vs. old

I'm setting up 8 machines to run FreeBSD and pvm (Parallel Virtual
Machine, http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html). Apparently, the
libraries changed somewhere between FreeBSD 3.4 and 4.3, and pvm will
no longer compile. Now I understand that this really isn't your problem,
but I have several questions:

1. Which version of 3.4 (RELEASE or STABLE) is actually what I "should" be
using?

2. Will 3.4 be available in the future, via ftp or CD-ROM? Perhaps I
should order a CD-ROM right now, "just in case", if it's still available.

3. Has anyone else reported a problem, and is there a BSD patch? (I shall
also try to contact someone involved with pvm to see if there is an
update.) The problem is something really arcane with a bitwise
comparison; I can investigate further if you'd like.

FreeBSD is probably my favorite OS; it is close enough to "standard" UNIX
that I can generally find answers in books. In fact, most of our campus
Web pages are running on a BSD box, cs.heritage.edu.

Thanks.

Richard "Doc" Barnhart
Computer Science
Heritage College
3240 Fort Road
Toppenish, WA 98948

It is easier to write an incorrect program
than understand a correct one.