Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 2009 00:50:47 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing ports xorg - Unknown solution

Heh,

there were too many factors as possible culprits in the system.

Glen Barber's command started to run, until I cancelled it when my
laptop battery died... :D

I'm not 100% sure what the problem was, but here's what I did...
. The PC has a msk ethernet device, which I wasn't 100% sold I'd use it,
. It's also behind a Linux-based firewall (corporate purchase) that ...
doesn't always want to work,
. I re-csup'd ports, it updated some stuff, but nothing in x11/
. I forgot it for the weekend, went into work, slapped it onto our other
network (which isn't behind the Linux firewall), and initiated an
install..  it started
. Keeping it on the other network, I finished xorg, then installed kde4
with repeated fetch timeouts on both installs.
. Remembered I had a broadcom ethernet card...  installed it.
. Finished installing everything, and is now my primary desktop at work.

So, either the bad csup, odd msk ethernet, or the (VERY fustrating)
Linux firewall was at fault.  Not sure what, but all is working now.

--Tim