Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 01:03:25 -0500
From:      Dan Root <dar@thekeep.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   status of dying daemons bug?

I've been watching the mailing list fairly closely for the past month or
so, but don't remember seeing a definitive solution to the dying daemon
problem.

I'm still having the problem here, with -current sources built yesterday.
I'm not quite sure why I'm ever hitting swap, given the machine's load
(almost never more than 80 or 100 megs of active memory on a P6-SMP machine
with 256), but the instant I do, I begin seeing the problem.  It's nearly
100% reliable, even if only a few hundred kilobytes are swapped out.

Right now I'm doing 'sysctl -w vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts=1' just to
keep the machine up and running, but this is hardly a good long term
solution.

Unfortunately I lack the familiarity with the VM internals to go hunting
after this myself.  However, I would be more than willing to assist someone
in finding the problem, including giving people access to my machine so
they can poke around.  I'd also be happy to post kernel config files,
output from vmstat and friends, or anything else that might help.

	-DaR
--
Dan Root - dar@thekeep.org