Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:26:38 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Andreas Wideroe Andersen <awand@pragma.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shoutcast on FreeBSD

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 02:40:22PM +0200, Andreas Wideroe Andersen wrote:

> I was looking for it in ports, but couldn't find it there so I had
> to install the tgz file offered from Nullsoft. Does SHOUTcast server
> exist as a FreeBSD port? If not, why?

It's in ports.  Here's one way to find things in the ports tree:

    cd /usr/ports
    make search name=shout

    - or -

    make search key=shout

> Is SHOUTcast a security risk? (it's using port 8000 and 8001)

It's not the port number that makes things risky.  The question is: do
you trust that the programmers of the software have done a good job
and eliminated the possibility of buffer overruns or other nastyness
that a black-hat might induce by spewing datagrams at you?  If you're
sufficiently confident of a yes answer, or you think that the risk
versus the rewards of running the software justifies it's use, then go
right ahead.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way