Date:      Wed, 30 May 2007 13:56:08 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for speed increases in "make index" and pkg_version for ports

Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> On 2007-May-27 16:12:54 -0700, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:
> >Given the size and complexity of the port system I have long
> >felt that rather than do everything via more and more complex
> >Mk/*.mk what is is needed is a ports server and a thin CLI
> >frontend to it.
>
> I don't believe this is practical.  Both package names and
> port dependencies depend on the options that are selected as
> well as what other ports are already installed.  A centralised
> ports server is not going to have access to this information.

I didn't mean a centralized server at freebsd.org but on your
freebsd system and can know about what ports are installed.
Conditional dependencies have to be dealt with.  Perhaps the
underlying reason for changing package names can be handled
in a different way.

What happens now is that mostly static information from
various files is recomputed many times.  While that can be
handled by a local database, it seems to be a daemon provides
a lot of benefits.

Come to think of it, even a centralized server can work as
there are a finite number of combinations and it can cache
the ones in use.  But all this is just an educated guess.