Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:19:17 +0100
From:      Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
To:        ericr <erobison@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't boot 7.2-RELEASE i386 or AMD64 on an Abit KV8 Pro motherboard with Sempron 3100+ CPU

ericr wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 20 June 2009 11:00:45 am ericr wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As the subject says, I can't get the 7.2-RELEASE i386 CD to boot on a
>>> system that has:
>>>
>>> Abit KV8 Pro (K8T800P-8237-6A7L1A1BC-26) motherboard with the most recent
>>> BIOS - BIOS release 26 4/20/2007
>>> (

snip

>>> Anyone have any suggestions, or should I file a PR?
>> Did you follow the suggestion on the release announcement of using the
>> other
>> CDs and switching before you start the install.
>

> Yes.  None of the FreeBSD kernels will boot on this system.  Doesn't matter
> if I use the livefs disk, or the install disk, it only gets as far as
> described above, then hangs.
>
> - ericrCan

Try leaving it for a few minutes at the hang

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1705690+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2009/freebsd-questions/20090517.freebsd-questions

I got mine going by putting the hard disk in another machine, installing
fbsd on that and building a kernel with most stuff taken out, after
which I could boot my motherboard with that hard disk. Once it was
booting I kept putting drivers back into the kernel until I found what
was stopping it (device sbp in my case). You can use an external usb
caddy and another machine with capability to boot from usb to do the
same thing.

You might have to modify /etc/fstab.

Chris