Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:39:40 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JMicron JMB363 PCIe controler doesn't work

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 336, Issue 16, Message: 2
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:58:03 +0100 (CET) Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

 > > I have motherboard with total 8 SATA ports but seems it's broken as i'm
 > > having regular server hangs after heavy disk I/O, usually with messages about
 > > disconnected AHCI device. cables ARE OK.
 > >
 > > i bought extra controllers - 2 2-port PCIe based on said chipset.
 > >
 > > to make things more strange - 2 of 8 motherboard SATA ports ARE JMB363 based
 > > too!
 > >
 > > on motherboard ports are all detected by AHCI driver.
 > >
 > > THE same chips on cards are NOT detected as AHCI.
 > > pciconv shows they are in ATA/RAID mode.
 > >
 > > But builtin controller BIOS does not allow setting it in AHCI mode.
 > > tried ata/atadisk driver - it doesn't attach disk at all, but just waits 15
 > > seconds on each port where disk is connected at boot.
 > >
 > > Disks ARE properly attached, as cards BIOS shows them up properly.
 > >

 > > How can FreeBSD be set up to simply force switching to AHCI mode on that
 > > chips?

 > nobody knows? or just this mail was missed within hundreds of trash about
 > why devil is a mascot or tips for installing windows.

Hey Woj, long time; yeah you picked a hell of time to re-surface.

More likely nobody who knows would be bothered wasting their time wading
through the present volume of bullshit infecting this once-useful list,
which has been lately taken over by a gang of clueless vandals who want
to use it as a Twitter replacement from their mobiles, shoving up middle
fingers at those trying to restore some sanity.  I've about had enough.

Excuse the rant .. re your question, I don't know myself but suspect
you'd likely get a grown-up sort of response in stable@ where this sort
of issue has been popping up a fair bit lately.

cheers, Ian