Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vinnie01 <Vincent.May1@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suspected Bug with snd_es137x

Hey All

                    I have encountered a problem with the sound card
resembling a similar problem to Alsa on Linux. Which the sound works for a
while lets say a few hours. When I had Linux on the System Alsa did very
similar where the sound  works and then doesnt work usually requiring to
restart the app that was using sound.

On FreeBSD the sound works after a while it will then produce a buzzing
noise when attempt to play anything that uses sound.

FreeBSD I am running on is
FreeBSD MrUNIXman 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0: Tue Jun 11 22:43:50
BST 2013     root@MrUNIXman:/sys/amd64/compile/MrUNIXman  amd64

I use a my own compiled kernel with the sound modules loaded

My Sound Card

pci4: <multimedia, audio> at device 1.0 (no driver attached)
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-A> port 0xec00-0xec3f irq 22 at device 1.0 on pci4
pcm0: <TriTech TR28023 AC97 Codec>
pcm0: <Playback: DAC1,DAC2 / Record: ADC>

Modules I use

Id Refs Address            Size     Name
 1   12 0xffffffff80200000 1273cd0  kernel
 2    2 0xffffffff81474000 76ca0    sound.ko
 6    1 0xffffffff8162f000 4ce9     snd_es137x.ko

I took 4 and 5 out as that refers to X related stuff.

I have noticed on the Buzz when the sound card makes this sound. I am hoping
to film it next time and upload it to youtube.

I found Unloading the snd_es137x module and reloading seems to give sound
back. I am beginning to wonder if this is some sort of Bug may involve with
use of multiple channels on sound card being used.  I believe the Older
FreeBSD I never seen this problem before and I had the same sound card back
then.

I have noticed on NetBSD only 1 app can use the sound card at time and never
suffered this problem. If I didnt recompile the kernel only way to solve
this was to probley reboot the system.

Cheers