Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:59:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
To:        Amy Wennings <amybsd@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Ensoniq PCI (ES1371)

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Amy Wennings wrote:

> I have a SoundBlaster Ensoniq PCI. It has the ES1371 chipset.

	I have that exact card in a brand new machine.  I'm using FreeBSD
3.2 with a patch to the sound card drivers to make that card work.  My
understanding is that the patch breaks compatibility with the ES1370, but
it my case I didn't care :-)  It's been playing MP3's fine ever since.
	Check out the following post I found : (the url may wrap )
http://x37.deja.com/[ST_rn=ap]/getdoc.xp?AN=491097363&CONTEXT=931301992.1116733571&hitnum=0

	You can grab the patch from the following url :

ftp://ftp.thebarn.com/outgoing/es1371.patch

	As far as I can tell Russell Cattelan ( cattelan@thebarn.com ) did
the patch and he deserves the credit.  If others were involved, thank you
also, it's nice having a sound card that works with FreeBSD.

Joseph Scott
joseph@randomnetworks.com

> I tried adding the sound controller and "device pcm0" to my kernel config
> file and remade. Is this much correct?
>
> But pcm0 isn't showing on rebooting, and after MAKEDEV, trying to cat a
> sound (actually /dev/random :) to it tells me the device isn't configured.
>
> PLEASE tell me I don't have to use OSS? This is the last thing I need to
> move from Linux to FreeBSD, and I'm trying to limit installed pieces to
> stable things I have source for. :(

Joseph Scott
joseph@randomnetworks.com