Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 96 08:45:08 -0500
From:      Ben Black <black@gage.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@glacier.cold.org>
Cc:        Michael Beckmann <petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de>, fs@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ccd setup for striping

>They really are not relative, the idea behind doing a RAID drive is to get
>stability from redundancy (not more disk space)--if one drive cooks you
>still have 5 (or however many) other drives still functional.  Using
>multiple disks with different partitions would give you more disk space,
>but would not give you any more stability.

i'll assume by stability you mean fault-tolerance.  honestly, this is a news
server we are talking about...is the news *that* important?  i promise you
using software RAID will *kill* the server performance.

also, the idea behind RAID is to use multiple disks to various ends: some
RAID levels do *not* give you data redundancy (striping without parity is
very fast, but not fault-tolerant, for instance), some make poor use of disk
space to avoid losing performance doing parity calculations (mirroring)...you
get the idea.

b3n