Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 19:28:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sondre_R=F8njom?= <s1465@lstud.ii.uib.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   About nss_ldap

Well, I found out after a while that NSS-modules are not supported before
5.1->. I could ofcourse just asked in /usr/ports/ned/nss_ldap/, which
would give me the answer, instead of first upgrading from 4.8 to 5.0.
Well, enough of nothing. I just wonder if anyone has any good sollution to
my problem. Having 5.0-R(Had too many problems with 5.1-B1/B2 on this
computer) and no support(might find a patch) for nss_modules, I wonder if
anyone has found a good relatively stable sollution to my problem:

I have a network containing >20 computers with different operating
systems, mostly MSWindows-distros. All the computers authenticate against
a samba server which maps their home_directory. Now, what I want to do(
please feel free to give out a better sollution!) is to authenticate
against LDAP. But without support of nss-modules I got the impression it
is difficult to do so. I have managed to authenticate against LDAP on my
test-box through login, but it does not give me a session - falls back on
pam_unix. I have looked at radius too, and people are talking about using
NIS for it also, but I'm quite unsure about this.

Wow!, sorry about the long posting by the way.
PS! I must reccomend reading "Starship Titanic" by Terry Jones while Im at
it

Sondre