Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:51:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Odd issues with USB SmartMedia Reader/Writer (PNY)

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Juli Mallett wrote:
> I have a PNY USB SmartMedia reader which works excellently with 5.x
> with 8M media, but which blows up with 32M media.  I'd assume this is
> due to improper geometry or something, but I really have no idea.
> Insert-reinsert produces no change in results, etc.  Below are bits
> from dmesg, with the smaller then the larger.

It's likely the 32M media is a different chipset than the 8M.  Please see
this page:  http://www.root.org/~nate/freebsd/quirks.html
Then read the quirks sections of the listed files to get an idea of how
the quirks are used.

> %%% --> With the 32M SmartMedia
> umass0: Alcor Mass Storage Device, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 5
> umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
> umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0 as device 0
> pass0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> pass0: <Generic USB SMC Reader 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> pass0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> GEOM: new disk da0
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): error 6
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable Error

I'd try a scsi_da.c quirk of DA_Q_NO_6_BYTE first.  You can just use
"Generic", "*", "*" to start with.

-Nate