Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:49:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm and painting the root window

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Kevin Weiss wrote:

> I now have xdm working, not I'm just wondering how to customize it.
>
> I want to change the background login screen (root window).  I checked
> previous mailing list archives, and found references to using "xsetroot".
> I tried "xsetroot -bitmap ....", but xdm-errors reported "bad bitmap file
> format",
> or something like that.
>
> I also saw reference to using "xv" to do this.  However, it wasn't clear
> (to me)
> how to use "xv" with graphical file.  Does the graphical file have to be in
> a certain
> format (*.bmp, *.jpg, *.gif)?  In my case, it's a *.gif file.
>
> Any recommendations? Suggestions?

xv shouldn't have a problem displaying gif/jpg/bmp files, however
i'm taking a guess that xdm will complain if the bitmap you tell it
to load is not a .xpm file.

to get utilities to go image convertion you may want to install
programs from /usr/ports/graphics.

netpbm and gimp support many graphical formats and can convert them.

-Alfred

PS. if you get it working i'd really appreciate telling me how
you wound up doing it, i've not had time to customize my xdm
logon screen but have always wanted to.