Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:08:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nonblocking page fetching

> > > This has some obvious disadvantages, but it stopped my movie player from
> > > sitting in vmwait when it could be doing other things.
> >
> > is it so bad ? The forked process should consume very little memory
> Well, I may be wrong, but I assumed that the CPU involved in just having a
> kernel bring pages in on it's own would be less. Is there anything that
> could be saved by putting this in the kernel?

let's see... you fork a process once so that does not count. Every
bunch of prefetch requires an IPC, and every page causes a context
switch (or two ?) following the page fault. This is what you can save.
I cannot quantify times for all the above activities, maybe someone
else has some numbers.

>>> One final note... Does anyone know what effect turning off the bzero on new
>>> pages would be? Security is not an issue in this system, as it's not

i think a lot of software will break.

>> again how bad is it ? bzero is generally done in the idle loop if i am
> We are at 100% cpu constantly. When I'm not drawing, i'm prerendering frames

ok, so think this differently: bzero'ing occurs at memory speed which
could be around 200-400MB/s in your case, or 10-20us/page.

	luigi