Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Leif Neland <leif@roskildebc.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot from SCSI without bios or beyond cylinder 512

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Leif Neland wrote:

> I have two IDE and a SCSI on an AHA1505
>
> I successfully installed 2.2.2 twice yesterday, first completely on the scsi.
>
> I couldn't get the bootmanager to boot from the AHA, probably because it
> doesn't have a bios. (It works nicely during the install as a aic (as far
> as I remember; the 2. Adaptec in the install-menu))

Yeah, it works fine as long as there's a BIOS there. :(  The Adaptec 1545
(or something like that) has a BIOS on it and works quite well.

> So I tried putting the root on the 2. IDE, a 700k drive, which I donīt use
> LBA on, so only the 1. 500k or so is used for DOS, the rest was empty.

Do you mean kilobytes or megabytes?

If you mean megabytes, then you probably hit against the 1024 cylinder
BIOS limit.  You can't boot any operating systems that reside above the
1024th cylinder on your boot disks, or about 500 megabytes.  If your DOS
partition takes up 500MB then your FreeBSD root slice is out of reach.

> But this didnīt work either. The bootmanager tried to boot from the 2.
> disk, but responded (approx) Error loading operating system.
>
> Can I somehow boot from dos?

It should appear in the boot manager.

> Can I make a bootfloppy if I want to move the scsi and controller to a
> seperate machine?

The issue is that you need to get a BIOS'd SCSI controller, or rearrange
the second IDE disk so that the FreeBSD slice comes first, then the DOS
slice behind it (assuming that the DOS slice on that disk isn't bootable,
ie it just contains data).  Or work up a scheme using the fbsdboot program
to start the kernel on the SCSI disk after the DOS SCSI drivers have been
loaded.  fbsdboot can be found in the tools/ directory at where you found
FreeBSD.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo