Date:      Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:11:23 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 ntpd (5.3-STABLE-SNAP001)

> Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:15:18 +0000
> From: Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> Thomas Krause wrote:
> > when starting ntpd at boot time, I've 2 ntpd's running:
> > [...]
> > Any idea why? I' running 5.3-STABLE-SNAP001.
>
> 1. You have some host names in ntp.conf which need to be resolved, and
> 2. At the time ntpd starts, the resolver isn't running.
>
> For some reason, ntpd makes one attempt to look up names in DNS and then
> goes into an infinite loop.

Good idea. Yes, the DNS resolution in ntpd is really, really stupid. I
always specify addresses in ntp.conf for this reason and the fact that
it there are multiple addresses only the first returned will be
tried. It never fails over if that one is dead. (And, should an IPv6
address be available on a system that does not have IPv6
connectivity...).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)