Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:07:44 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Choosing a motherboard and a Pentium

Brett Taylor writes:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Doug White wrote:
>
> > The PII and PPro are fairly equivalent, but those are heads-and-shoulders
> > above stock Pentiums.  Do a mail archive search for `make world times' and
> > you'll see what I mean. :-)
>
> On a marginally related topic...  I noticed that although that my two
> machines, one P5 166 and the other a PPro 200, have about the same
> performance when running the rc5des client for the DES encryption routine,
> but when running the rc5-64 the PPro 200 is about 2.5 x faster.  I don't
> get it.  :-|

The rc5des code is optimized for Pentium-only. Your PPro 200 should be
200/166 faster than the Pentium 166. There have been comments on the rc5
list to the effect DES doesn't lend itself to the PPro and optimization.
Also the Bovine effort has had much less time thinking about and
improving their DES code than the RC5 code. Heck, they still don't have
a MacOS PowerPC client for DES-II.