Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:59:38 +1200
From:      C.R.Harding@massey.ac.nz
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Heavily loaded mail servers - any stats?

I've been involved in a discussion with some people locally regarding
large mail volumes and the size of servers needed to cope with it.
They believe that 700,000 pieces of email per month (their current
traffic) is an enormous load and requires big, expensive name-brand
servers to deal with. I'm trying to suggest that their traffic
isn't all that impressive, that it only loads their server because of
the wacko X.400 MTA they're running, and that a PC running FreeBSD
would laugh at the effort.

So I'm interested in some stats from some of the larger mail servers
running FreeBSD, and particularly freebsd.org itself, in terms of
system size, MTA and version, and the mail load being handled. Anyone
got any data they can chuck in?

						-- C.

--
Craig Harding   Acting Director, Massey University Television Production Centre
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly