Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:11:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu (Igor Roshchin)
To:        conrads@neosoft.com (Conrad Sabatier)
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error message while cvsup'ing RELENG_2_2

> On 16-Sep-97 John Polstra wrote:
> >
> >> A-ha!  I think we've found it!
> >>
> >> root:/usr/home/conrads# ls -l /usr/ports/games/angband/pkg/PLIST
> >> br-srw--w-  1 8426901  8085310   52, 0x3934003a Dec  3 05:07
> >> /usr/ports/games/angband/pkg/PLIST
> >>
> >> I had a nasty system crash about a week ago.  fsck had to do some rather
> >> extensive cleaning up (thank goodness no serious damage).
> >
> >Was the filesystem mounted async at the time of the crash?  I'm just
> >curious.
>
> Um, I'm really not sure what that is, to be honest.  :-)  I just do a
> normal mount on startup from fstab:
>

> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump Pass#
> /dev/wd1a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd1s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd1s1e             /var            ufs     rw              1       1
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
> /dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/wd0s1              /c              msdos   rw              0       0
> /dev/wd1s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
>
> --

Since it was interesting for somebody -
I had (two times) similar crashes - I mean with similar consequencies -
after fsck I've got some files which became "special files" -
(br-w..., cr-w... )
and once one of them happened to be /var/log/messages
So, my system even could not tell me error messages.
I had to go into single user mode and clean the inodes these
files were using, because regular "rm" would not work on them

THough, this happened on 2.1-STABLE with SCSI drives (I blamed
on the well known bug in the driver for adaptec scsi cards)

Sorry for such "off-topic".

IgoR