Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:14:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John De Boskey <jwd@bsdwins.com>
Subject:   Re: -current 'make release' status? [SOLVED]

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> Forget what I've said about NO_WERROR, it (unfortunately) only
> applies to the userland.
>
> Still, running "make rerelease KERNEL_FLAGS=WERROR=" gets the
> release done.
>
> I wondered why I get it, and similarly my nigthly "buildkernel"
> completed without errors.  This turned out to be due to the
> -O vs. -Os differences.  For example, compiling vfs_subr.o
> from the GENERIC kernel results in these same warnings when
> compiled with COPTFLAGS="-Os -pipe".  Peter, should we switch
> -Werror back off in kern.pre.mk?

Use -fno-strict-aliasing if you use -Os.  Otherwise, -Os is stricter
than -O.

On second thoughts, -Os implies -f-strict-aliasing because -Os may
need strict aliasing for the same reasons as -O2.  We've seen -O2
in combination with broken aliasing in libm cause fatal errors.
Better find part of -O2 that needs strict aliasing and turn it off
too.

Bruce