Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:09:07 +0100
From:      Martin Faxér <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@jasnetworks.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Very sluggish OpenGL with glTron.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:09:29 -0500
Matthew Hagerty <matthew@jasnetworks.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've installed X11R6, KDE, and glTron from the ports on a fresh install of
> 4.5-Release.  I can start glTron okay, the menu screen appears, and I hear
> the music.  The problem is when I use the cursor (up or down) to select
> menu options it literally takes 3 to 5 seconds before the selection
> changes!  And if I start a game I am dead before the first frame is even drawn.
>
> Now, I don't have the best hardware to run on right now, but even with no
> hardware acceleration it shouldn't be this bad, should it?

It probably should... 3-5 seconds sounds _BAD_ alright, but it's nowhere near
playable on my Athlon 1400 MHz either (without hardware acceleration).

> Also, I'm just now getting into X (been using FreeBSD since 1.01 but always
> as a server), and I was wondering how I can tell if my video card's
> hardware features are even being utilized?

I think the command you are looking for is ``glxinfo''.
If you are using a stock XFree86 installation that comes with FreeBSD,
your 3D hardware acceleration chip is most likely not being used.

The Viper V550 uses an NVIDIA TNT chipset, as far as I know, and they
aren't supported by DRI. You could however check out Utah-GLX,
http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net, I think they support the TNT chipsets...

The best solution, however, would be to wait for NVIDIA to release the
FreeBSD native binary drivers, which they'll hopefully do soon.

Matthew N. Dodd has been working on getting FreeBSD NVIDIA drivers
and you may see his work so far at ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/nvidia
(although those drivers don't provide any 3D acceleration, yet! NVIDIA
are busy finetuning the drivers for their upcoming GeForce4 chipset).

> My current config (don't laugh):
>
> K6-2-300
> 96MB RAM
> Viper V550 w/16MB

The K6 line of CPU's are known to be slow at doing FPU operations, and I
guess that 3D rendering involves a lot of FPU calculations...
I think OpenGL was more meant to be an abstraction layer between the 3D
hardware and the application rather than a software based rendering suite.