Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 11:09:31 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        dan@magma.ca (Danny Byers)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL, FreeBSD gateway, slow web browsing

On 19 Sep 2000 14:07:29 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you =
wrote:

>hey!=20
>
>my situation: I have a 1 Meg Modem connection through my ISP in town. My=
 freebsd
>4.0 box is setup as a gateway with one network card handling the modem =
and
>another network card connecting to a five port hub.=20
>
>All PC's on the network have the freebsd box as gateway: 192.168.0.1 =
with my
>ISP's primary and secondary DNS servers listed as they should (all are =
Win98
>boxes). They are also all assigned their own IP (192.168.0.2-4). What =
should
>their Subnet Mask be?
>
>The problem that I am experiencing is that web browsing/file downloading=
 on the
>internally networked PC's is not working.=20

See

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/ppp.html#AEN4149

It sounds like an MTU issue.  However, I have found avoiding NAT behind
PPPoE and using various proxying tool kits (squid, fwtk etc) gives better
performance as well as better auditing.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)