Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:28:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@lonres.com>
Cc:        steve@pepcross.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Steve Roome wrote:

> The good news though, is that the Mysql folks have agreed to setup tests
> to profile mysql on identical hardware running FreeBSD and Linux with an
> aim to find out exactly where the problem really is. They reckon they'll
> spend at least two weeks trying to find out why Linux is so much faster
> - if they do this right I'd be surprised if we can't improve things
> quite a lot.
>
> Also, it'd be good if any of you who still have an interest in this
> could add any ideas or suggestions that may help *them* with their
> testing. If so, just get in touch with me asap before they get too stuck
> into anything that might prove fruitless.
>
> Here's hoping we can get MySQL running as well on FreeBSD as it ought
> to.

Please let me know if there's any support for this activity I can provide.
I spent a fair amount of time identifying bottlenecks for MySQL in the 5.x
cycle, and I know David Xu (davidxu@FreeBSD.org) has also spent quite a
bit of time looking at the threading side, resulting in a lot of his work
on libthr in 6.x.  It would probably be a good idea to (a) move further
discussion to performance@FreeBSD.org, and (b) make sure that the
performance work is starting with a recent 6.x baseline (with debugging
turned off).

thanks for the time you've been putting into this!

Robert N M Watson