Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:36:32 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unexpected failure configuring libgnomecanvas (building gnome2)

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 05:07:58PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> And there in lies the problem.  The CVS version of X overwrites Xft and
> fontconfig, and installs their .pc files in the wrong location.  We
> don't support CVS X at this time, but you might get things to work by
> _reinstalling_ x11-fonts/fontconfig, x11-fonts/Xft, and print/freetype2
> over-top X 4.2.99.x.

(nitpicking) note: fontconfig and Xft are not installed, so in this
case X did not overwrite anything (I nuked /usr/X11R6 after nuking
all ports and rebuilt and reinstalled X).

<snip>

> This is most likely caused by the lack of xft.pc and fontconfig.pc in
> /usr/X11R6/libdata/pkgconfig.  Doing what I suggested above may help you
> out.  You will have to rebuild pango after doing this.  Good luck.

Yep, that was it. I installed x11-fonts/Xft (which has fontconfig as a
dependency anyway), rebuilt pango and libgnomecanvas built just fine.

Thanks Joe,