Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 16:35:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        nadav@barcode.co.il, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: support for 16650

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Maybe this change can be dropped into a -current version,
> 	yes?  I have heard rumblings--at least 3rd- or 4th-hand--
> 	that within a year the POTS modems will be screaming along
> 	at 57Kbps or something.   Anybody else hear these rumors?

Most POTS lines get digitized at some point, which limits you to 64Kbps,
at best, and older telephony equipment will rob every 8th bit (for zero
suppression), reducing this to 56Kbps.  Assuming that your modem
can adapt to any 8bit zero suppresion, and output an arbitrary wave form
that could be digitized without loss, converted back to analog, and
delivered to the modem, you could sustain 56Kbps.

On the other hand, if you can get a copper run, then you can do things
like ADSL, which goes quite beyond these limits.

For the longest time, I never saw a connection faster than 21Kbs to my
ISP, and this was with V.34 modems, and they're even in the same prefix as
I am.  I still don't consistently see 28.8 connections.