Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:19:44 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Masquerade Problem

On Jun 24, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> I have problem with sendmail that is giving me a headake. I can send
> mails als long when I give the from adres, but when I leave this out
> the
> server enters the localname and my ISP isn't accepting the mail. (i.e.
> echo 'test' | mail -vs test to@mail.com -ffrom@mail works, but without
> the -f option it gets accepted but is rejected by the isp) I have
> masquerade setup, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. However check
> on shows that it handeled oke.

Root is an "exposed user", in other words, mail sent by root is not
masquaraded by default, even if other addresses would be.

Anyway, this doesn't really matter, as your ISP's mail server should
be willing to relay your mail anyway.  You should talk with tiscali.nl
about what else you might need to do-- perhaps setting up SMTP auth
would let you relay through their mailservers...

--
-Chuck