Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 13:45:02 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Cc:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible SERIOUS bug in open()? (Big time bug)

On Oct 24,  5:41pm, Terry Lambert wrote:

} Permission dictate whether the user may read the file or write the file;
} the open method specific to the file dictates wheher the user can open
} the file.  There aren't permission bits associated with "openable", only
} "readable" and "writeable".
}
} For /dev/io, where opening has side effects

Opening files has side effects, too.  For instance, space isn't
recovered if a file is unlinked if the file is open.  There is
also the issue of O_EXLOCK and O_SHLOCK.  I don't want another
user to have the ability to do either with my mode 0600 files.