Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:41:45 -0500
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        david@banning.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mutt stalls with Sending message...

From the mutt website:

sendmail_wait

Type: number
Default: 0

Specifies the number of seconds to wait for the ``sendmail'' process to
finish before giving up and putting delivery in the
background.

Mutt interprets the value of this variable as follows:

    >0      number of seconds to wait for sendmail to
            finish before continuing
    0       wait forever for sendmail to finish
    <0      always put sendmail in the background
            without waiting

Note that if you specify a value other than 0, the output of the child
process will be put in a temporary file. If there is some
error, you will be informed as to where to find the output.

try adding "set sendmail_wait=-1" without the quotes to your .muttrc
file.

HTH
Victor Cardona