Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 01:46:35 -0400
From:      Jim <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make buildworld: /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lc

FreeBSD 4.2 getting the error when attempting to buildworld:

-- clip --

 Upgrading the installed make
cc -O -pipe -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make -DMAKE_VERSION=\"5200209170\"
-D__FBSDID=__RCSID -DDEFSHELL=1    -static -o make arch.o buf.o compat.o
cond.o dir.o for.o hash.o job.o main.o make.o parse.o str.o suff.o targ.o
var.o lstAppend.o lstAtEnd.o lstAtFront.o lstClose.o lstConcat.o lstDatum.o
lstDeQueue.o lstDestroy.o lstDupl.o lstEnQueue.o lstFind.o lstFindFrom.o
lstFirst.o lstForEach.o lstForEachFrom.o lstInit.o lstInsert.o lstIsAtEnd.o
lstIsEmpty.o lstLast.o lstMember.o lstNext.o lstOpen.o lstRemove.o
lstReplace.o lstSucc.o
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lc
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/usr.bin/make.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
# uname -a
FreeBSD njkwan.concon.homeip.net 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #1: Sat Dec
30 15:40:05 EST 2000     root@njkwan.homelan.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/njkwan
i386

--!clip--

I have read some things online that state that I need to specify a directory
to find the c library??? using the -L switch?  When I do an ldconfig -m I
show the following directories available:

# ldconfig -r | awk -F'>' '{print $2}' | while read d;do dirname $d;done |
uniq

/usr/lib
/usr/lib/compat
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/mysql

Any suggestions would be very nice.  TIA

--

- Jim