Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:50:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, nick.hibma@jrc.it, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solaris is free.

Greg Lehey said:

> Solaris isn't all bad.  I'm getting the feeling that threads and MP
> support are going to make or break FreeBSD.

I agree.  I am working on threads right now (and threads only) for
work.  It will be targeted to our own NetBSD version, but will
be initially developed on FreeBSD.  I AM making progress, and will
be using some of JB's work.

RE: SMP, the code just needs to be fixed in the areas that I suggest,
and hold off until a more distributed and SMP based OS will be
ready for use :-).

If you think that my VM work was radical -- a "true" SMP kernel based
upon the FreeBSD code would be very very radical.  IMO, SMP
requires a rework, and that is what I am doing in my spare time
now.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid