Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 01:55:17 +0100
From:      Jose Gabriel J Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Athlon XP with NVIDIA AGP problem

Hi Matthew,

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 04:53:13PM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Jose Gabriel J Marcelino wrote:
> > I can try things, I just don't where to start to solve this type
> > of problems. VIA doesn't have easily downloadable docs either :(
>
> Try disabling MTRRs.

Well, you got a hit at your first shot. Disabling MTRR using
John Baldwin's patch did the trick, I'm now sending this from
X-Windows using the regular nv driver. Wonderful!

I'm sure this carries a speed penalty, but I can't really notice
it in any of my usual 2D stuff.

> (See http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/mtrr.patch for John Baldwin's
> patch to disable MTRR from the loader.)

This patch should go into the tree so that future users can install
FreeBSD on their KT333 boards with Nvidia cards (I'm sure that's a
common platform for new machines)

> Try disabling ACPI.

Didn't do any good.

> Try running the FreeBSD NVIDIA driver.
> 	ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/nvidia/
> 	(You might try the version 1.3.3 in tmp/)

I tried the official version before you told me about this one. I
had slightly patched it to compile on -CURRENT. The new one works
unpatched, but the end result is the same, the module load fails
with the msg:

kernel: nvidia0: <GeForce2 MX/MX 400> mem 0xd8000000-0xdfff
ffff,0xd6000000-0xd6ffffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1
kernel: nvidia0: Unable to allocate NVIDIA memory resource.
kernel: device_probe_and_attach: nvidia0 attach returned 6

and the nvidia driver for X won't run without this one working.

Anyway thanks for your MTRR tip that made this system work with
my Nvidia card!

Now I only have the sound problems to worry about: periodic
hiccups (periodic short bursts of noise) when playing mp3s
under xmms, with the internal cmedia sound chip or even a
yamaha ymf744 pci card.

Best regards,

Gabriel