Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:03:13 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>, David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot off USB SanDisk?

In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0010231028001.7568-100000@fondue.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> Luigi Rizzo writes:
: > > You can use a IDE <-> CF adapter to boot off this device.  You can't
: > > boot it off via the USB device however.
: >
: > As a matter of curiosity: what does such an adapter cost (roughly) ?
:
: i bought one from TAPR (www.tapr.org i think) for some 59US$
: but it is really just a connector and a PCB so i suppose it is
: just a matter of volumes to get a better price

I've seen them in the $20-$50 range myself.  If you are making 100s of
these things, they cost in the ballpark of $20 each to make if you
have the right infrastructure.  The $20 ones are from one of the
embedded PC houses.  The ones we make for our own internal use have
special mounting requirements that the commercially available ones did
not fullfil.  The board is dead simple.  Two connectors, a pc board,
some traces and a bypass cap (optional: M/S jumper and a led activity
light).

Warner