Date:      Sat, 01 Dec 2007 13:28:01 -0500
From:      "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: duration of the ports freeze

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, David Southwell wrote:

>>> Actually item 1 is more important to me then item 2.

>>> An other solution (and one suggested by Huffman) is create a
>>> matrix of what stuff has been tested against and on a port by
>>> port basis I can set a tested vs. untested flag for what set of
>>> depenancies to use. This is not much different then your idea
>>> just more fined grained.
>>
>> This is rather akin to my suggiestion made earlier today: which
>> read: ***************** " How about maintaining the port tree as
>> usual during the pre release period. By default all releases in
>> the tree prior to a selected date should incorporate a release
>> dependency in their makefile that would NOT include the pending
>> future release.
>>
>> As each port is tested against the new release its release
>> depency would be changed and upgardes could continue to be added
>> to the tree as normal.
>>
>> This would mean the majority are not being inconvenienced by the
>> needs of a tiny minority to artifically hasten changes to ports
>> to ensure they are compatible with the new release.
>>
>> At the moment the tail is wagging the dog and it is becoming less
>>  and less acceptable that we should continue to operate in way
>> that many may feel is somewhat quaint but seems IMHO to be
>> increasingly arcane and out of touch with the needs of most
>> users. " ************** I think we are on similar tracks. Unless
>> we get somnething like this we are going to face increasing
>> difficulrties as time goes on. The number of ports will continue
>> to increase and as the length of the freeze will therefore tend
>> to increase proportionally (if not exponentially).
>>
>> The balance needs shifting and a method  that does not demand a
>> freeze is now IMHO essential.
>>
>> David
>
> These are all reasonably good suggestions for how to get around the
>  ports freeze.  But they will come with a price, namely someone has
>  to implement these changes (which I guess one of you would do),
> but also someone has to manage these changes and sort out the
> inevitable problems that will accompany them.  In other words, it
> will be quite a big logistic exercise. Furthermore the FreeBSD
> project tends to be conservative and resistant to big changes.

It is a price either paid up front (like we are suggesting) or paid
later when the now barely maintainable ports system finally
collapses.   My main issue is the lack of good depenancy tracking
(leaving it to the preview of each port I think is asking for it in
the long run) and some rather inconsistent behaviour between say the
following three options:

cd /usr/ports/{some metaport}
make install

portinstall {some metaport}

and

pkg_add {some metaport}

An other side issue is the system needs to allow for greater
grainlarity (which is only possible once better dependancy tracking is
done).   For an idea what I am talking about compare say make to cook
and cvs to aegis.

> So what I think you need to do is to really convince others that
> the port freeze is not just an inconvenience/frustration (and
> personally I agree with you here), but that it is a major
> shortcoming with the current system.

My arg is the system is starting to show the strain of 15k+ ports with
metaports needing to track hundreds of dependancies.

> For example, it is now clear to me that Aryeh is a cutting edge
> power user.  It is understandable that to him that this ports
> freeze is a major inconvenience, but it is also obvious that he has
> the technical capabilities to work around it.  His voice, and
> others like him, is not likely to sway the FreeBSD project.  It
> needs a lot more average users who are also complaining.

The fact that it is inconveint for any given person or wither or not
they have the skill to by pass the system doesn't let the system off
the hook.

> This is why I compare FreeBSD with other OS's and their
> distributions, and ask the question - is this frustration there
> simply because we know so much about the inner decision making as
> to why there is a ports freeze?

And this is no reason not to seek continuous improvement and overhaul
of subsystems that are really showing their age.   The ports system is
essencially unchanged since at least 1995 when I first started using
FreeBSD.

> So here is another suggestion.  Perhaps those who really want the
> latest and greatest could implement a private ports-current.  This
> would look at all the extant PR's that are wating for the ports
> freeze to finish, and implement them.  Sure it would be a hassle to
>  maintain, and a headache when the freeze is over to put things
> back.  But there is a similar hassle to adopt the proposed schemes
> for everybody, and it just isn't clear that this is something that
> would benefit many.

The worst of all suggestions on the table.... it creates more work and
many more possibilities for inconsitencies then even the current
system also how do we reconcile the diffs between how I might fix
something and port manager might... I think one look at congress
should show this totally fails.

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems